Does Cannabis Cause Heart Failure and Stroke?
You may have seen the recent headlines about two new studies that found “marijuana use raises risk of heart attack, heart failure and stroke.” SCC Board Member, Dr. Dustin Sulak dives into the data from these studies to understand what this tells us for individuals with cardiac disease or cardiovascular risks and how cannabis may be safely used.
Read the full article here: https://healer.com/blog/does-cannabis-cause-heart-failure-and-stroke/
What are his take-home messages for those who want to use cannabis without increasing their cardiovascular risk?
- Use cannabis in a way that promotes restorative sleep, decreased anxiety and stress, improved mood, and increased beneficial social interactions. We have many free resources on Healer.com that will help you do this.
- Limit or avoid smoking cannabis and using vape pens. Instead, use a flower vaporizer, drops, capsules, gummies, tea, and topical products.
- Choose “clean” cannabis products that have been shown to be free from contaminants and accurately labeled based on third-party lab testing.
- Use the lowest effective dose of cannabis to relieve symptoms and avoid building tolerance. If you have built tolerance, reverse it using our Sensitization program.
- If you’re wary about using THC, there are many highly effective hemp-based products that can relieve symptoms with no risk of impairment.
- Work with a cannabis expert. If you have a medical condition that you’d like to treat with cannabis, find a local cannabis expert at the Society of Cannabis Clinicians.
- Pay less attention to news headlines (in general), especially those that exaggerate non-peer-reviewed findings about the harms of cannabis!